- Barbara Peng to step down as Business Insider CEO at end of June
- Company faces shrinking subscriptions and ongoing layoffs
- Focus shifts to paid content, AI, and live journalism to stabilise business
Business Insider chief executive Barbara Peng will step down at the end of June, closing a tenure marked by falling subscriptions, repeated layoffs and a broader attempt to remake the publisher around paid content, live journalism and artificial intelligence.
Peng told staff on Wednesday that she would leave the company on June 30, according to a memo first reported by Status. Christian Baesler, senior adviser to Axel Springer, the ultimate owner of Business Insider, will serve as interim chief executive while the publisher searches for a permanent successor.
The departure comes at a difficult moment for Business Insider, which has spent recent years trying to reduce its reliance on traffic-driven advertising as audience habits shift and generative AI reshapes digital publishing.
In her note to staff, Peng said the decision was not easy and described it as part of a broader technological shift across the industry. She urged employees to remain adaptable, arguing that journalism and the business surrounding it would continue to evolve.
Last week, Business Insider cut just under 5% of its workforce, marking its fourth consecutive year of layoffs. Status reported in March that the publisher’s paid subscriber base fell 27% between the end of 2022 and the end of 2025, dropping from about 185,000 to roughly 160,000.
The pressure has extended beyond subscriptions. In January, the company lost its chief revenue officer and global head of sales, adding to wider upheaval in its leadership ranks. The Wrap reported that the publisher has since reorganised parts of its commercial operation, with interim appointments in sales and marketing.
Under Peng, Business Insider has sought to move away from dependence on scale advertising towards a business more reliant on paying readers. Subscription Insider reported that the company’s restructuring focused on paid content, AI integration and live journalism as management pursued a more durable model in a market disrupted by changing search behaviour and generative AI.
Peng, who became chief executive in 2023, presented the changes as necessary to secure the company’s future. But the repeated cuts and declining subscriber numbers suggest the turnaround remains incomplete as Business Insider tries to reposition itself in an increasingly unforgiving digital news market.
Source: Noah Wire Services
- https://www.thewrap.com/media-platforms/journalism/business-insider-ceo-barbara-peng-to-exit/ – Please view link – unable to able to access data
- https://www.thewrap.com/media-platforms/journalism/business-insider-ceo-barbara-peng-to-exit/ – Business Insider CEO Barbara Peng announced her departure, effective June 30, 2026, following a tenure marked by declining subscriptions and multiple rounds of layoffs. She expressed her love for the company and its mission but acknowledged the need for change driven by technological advancements. Peng’s exit follows a series of staff reductions, including a recent layoff of less than 5% of the staff, marking the fourth consecutive year of such cuts. Additionally, the company experienced a 27% decline in paid subscribers between the end of 2022 and 2025.
- https://www.thewrap.com/media-platforms/journalism/business-insider-lost-27-percent-subscribers/ – Business Insider experienced a 27% decline in its paid subscriber base over three years, dropping from approximately 185,000 at the end of 2022 to about 160,000 by the end of 2025. This decline reflects a strategic shift towards focusing on a more engaged audience, as reported by Status. The company underwent significant changes during this period, including the appointment of Barbara Peng as CEO in 2023 and Jamie Heller as editor-in-chief in 2024, which may have influenced subscriber retention.
- https://www.subscriptioninsider.com/article-type/news/business-insider-cuts-21-of-staff-refocuses-on-subscriptions-ai-and-live-journalism – In a significant restructuring, Business Insider laid off 21% of its workforce, including approximately 8% of its newsroom staff. The company is shifting its focus towards paid content, artificial intelligence (AI) integration, and live journalism. CEO Barbara Peng stated that the layoffs were part of a strategic move to reduce reliance on traffic-driven revenue streams and to invest in areas that offer greater value to its core audience, such as business, technology, and innovation coverage.
- https://www.axios.com/2025/06/18/business-insider-layoffs-ai-strategy – Following recent layoffs, Business Insider CEO Barbara Peng detailed the company’s post-layoff strategy, emphasizing the necessity of these changes to build a sustainable business. She highlighted the importance of supporting quality journalism and reaching the company’s potential. The layoffs and strategic shifts are in response to declining search traffic and the need to adapt to disruptions caused by AI in the media industry.
- https://businesshonor.com/2026/1/business-insider-implementing-strategic-restructuring – Business Insider is undergoing a strategic organizational overhaul, with the departures of Chief Revenue Officer Maggie Milnamow and Global Head of Retail Sales Orlando Reece. CEO Barbara Peng acknowledged their contributions and announced an organizational restructuring to address these exits. The company is focusing on events coverage and AI-driven content strategy, aiming to build a more resilient and sustainable business in the evolving media and technology landscape.
- https://www.thewrap.com/industry-news/business/business-insider-senior-executive-exits-maggie-milnamow-orlando-reece/ – Business Insider saw the exits of two senior executives, Chief Revenue Officer Maggie Milnamow and Global Head of Sales Orlando Reece. CEO Barbara Peng confirmed their departures in a memo to staff, acknowledging their significant impact on the company. The company is implementing an organizational restructuring to address these changes, with Anthony DeMaio named interim Head of Sales and Hannah Diddams promoted to lead B2B Marketing, Creative Studios, and the Events division.
Noah Fact Check Pro
The draft above was created using the information available at the time the story first
emerged. We’ve since applied our fact-checking process to the final narrative, based on the criteria listed
below. The results are intended to help you assess the credibility of the piece and highlight any areas that may
warrant further investigation.
Freshness check
Score:
10
Notes:
The news of Barbara Peng’s departure was first reported on May 20, 2026, and has been corroborated by multiple reputable sources, including TheWrap and Reuters. ([thewrap.com](https://www.thewrap.com/media-platforms/journalism/business-insider-ceo-barbara-peng-to-exit/?utm_source=openai))
Quotes check
Score:
10
Notes:
Direct quotes from Barbara Peng’s memo to staff are consistent across multiple sources, indicating originality and accuracy. ([thewrap.com](https://www.thewrap.com/media-platforms/journalism/business-insider-ceo-barbara-peng-to-exit/?utm_source=openai))
Source reliability
Score:
10
Notes:
The primary sources, TheWrap and Reuters, are well-established and reputable news organisations, enhancing the credibility of the information.
Plausibility check
Score:
10
Notes:
The reported challenges faced by Business Insider, including declining subscriptions and multiple rounds of layoffs, align with known industry trends and previous reports about the company. ([thestar.com.my](https://www.thestar.com.my/tech/tech-news/2025/05/30/business-insider-cuts-21-of-workforce-memo-shows?utm_source=openai))
Overall assessment
Verdict (FAIL, OPEN, PASS): PASS
Confidence (LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH): HIGH
Summary:
The news of Barbara Peng’s departure from Business Insider is corroborated by multiple reputable sources, with consistent and verifiable information. No significant concerns were identified regarding freshness, originality, source reliability, or verification independence.



